Hr Block - H&R Block Emerald Advance up to $1000

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and should get your w-2's soon."

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

More Review Details

Helpful? 88 Yes 88 149 No 149
Had the same issue 112 Yes 112
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 10 #993515 Fort Wayne, Indiana

I get the advance every year no problem

Dec 08, 2014 #913110

I've never had a problem with H and R Block

Nov 25, 2014 #906080 Belleview, Florida

I am so pissed F u h & R block says i have insufficient cash flow which is not the case!!

Dec 04, 2014 #910622 Little Rock, Arkansas

What mine said. Ahhhhwish I would have know and not wasted my time. My agent was super sweet though.

Nov 25, 2014 #905967 Seattle, Washington

I got denied too. How incredibly disheartening...Ive been a client for YEARS. My 6 year old and I really needed that.

Nov 24, 2014 #905550

I am going to see if I get approved tonight. If I do not they will lose a customer that's for sure. I will do it my *** self.

upset loyal consumer

Nov 24, 2014 #905505 Saginaw, Michigan

I was always approved for a h&r loan and today I was denied for a loan so now I don't think I will continue my tax services wit h&r block nd I have been a consumer for over 14years

Unhappy ex customer

Nov 24, 2014 #905472 Columbia, Missouri

H&R Block sucks!!!

Nov 24, 2014 #905469 Columbia, Missouri

I was denied this year. The code was to many credit inquires on my credit report.
I bought a new car this year. I have used H&R block for 17 years now and received loans in the past and paid them back on time and in full!!! HSBC Bank is even on my credit report/Experian with a positive standing!!! I was listening to others in the office that were way less qualifying than I for sure am!!! I've held my job for over 5 years and more $$ than I did last year.

Unhappy ex-customer

Nov 24, 2014 #905406 Yazoo City, Mississippi

I agree. H&R block is a rip off! My husband and I have gotten the advance with them the past two year, and we both have decent credit. Then, I apply this year and it gave us a code (06) saying that we were denied. The code said we had insufficient cash flow for 2015.... which makes ZERO sense. I called and the operator at the call center said that code shows up for seasonal workers. My husband is not a "seasonal" worker. He has been at this job for 2 years and works 6 days a week. The "tax professional" said that we make twice as much as the last 2 other people made that just got approved, and she said it didnt make sense either. I will not use H&R block anymore. We had planned to use the money for christmas. It is rather disappointing.

May 27, 2014 #820740

H&R block is a *** rip off... They are the kings of false advertisement. First I was told I wouldn't be charged atm withdrawal fees as long as I used all point atms but yet H&R block charged me every time I withdrew money. Then I got approved for the cash advance and was told as long as I pay it back in time I would have a line of credit all year round but when I tried to access that line of credit I was told there was steps I had to take to be able to access this line of credit but wasn't informed of these steps until I tried to access the line of credit. Basically a bunch of bs

2 0 Reply
PO-ed Veteran

Dec 27, 2013 #764697 Greensboro, North Carolina

I went also to the so called Emerald BS and got similar results. I think there should be some kind of Class Action law suit brought against them for false advertisement. I am thinking the same thing. They are just marketing for customers.

2 0 Reply
not happy customer

Dec 06, 2013 #753657 Belleville, Illinois

The program is a joke they do it so they can get you to make appointment to do taxes can do your own on tax for 10 so why go there pay 250

Dec 01, 2013 #751091 Sandusky, Ohio

I got denied. A first.after 5 years of getting 900 $. The reason was insuffecient cash flow to cover monthly bills. Funny though considering I'm getting an estimated 8, 000 grand back and I have been employed for years! :(

Jan 01, 2014 #766966

Its because it's based strictly on credit now...not refund amount. Look it up!

Jan 23, 2013 #597949 Los Angeles, California

I don't understand why people get so ticked off. This is a loan from A BANK!!!! If you walked into your own bank and tried to get a loan with bad credit, would you still feel the same way?????Stop blaming H&R Block for your bad credit. and PS they have checked credit for YEARS! They are just putting more stock into it. My husband was pre approved this year and we have HORRIBLE credit. All we had to do was go in sign a couple of papers. They didn't even check and see if we were getting any money back. As for 80% of people not getting it where do you live ?????? Cause I know tons of people that got the LOAN this year. It just completely cracks me up that people blame a BANK for not getting a loan. :grin

13 2 Reply

May 31, 2013 #658319 St. Petersburg, Florida

Actually you are wrong. This is not a traditional loan that is subject to credit approval like loans from other banks. Your tax return can be used to pay this back. I use it every year for Christmas and I have not once been denied AND my credit is shakey at best. Just sayin' are wrong.

12 0 Reply

1-20 of 78 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.