1.3
Additional Fees
Turnaround Time

I don’t care what anyone says. H&R Block is crap!

We typically use Turbo Tax but this year, we needed an advance. We were charged about $400 to file AND we were only approved for a $500 advance loan. They conveniently have no way of telling you how much you’ll be approved for beforehand. I just assumed since my tax return was in the 9000s and I was forced to get the Emerald Card, the $1,000 shouldn’t have been a problem but whatever.

So, the emerald card...

very inconvenient, very unsafe. They told me when they issued my card, there are “free ATMs” you can use.. I looked up a couple nearby and sure enough, there was nothing free about it. Pretty much whichever way you go about getting your money off the card, it’s going to cost you money.

Paying for your own money is ridiculous but I guess their profit has to come from somewhere. This card cannot be used at the pump nor at Redbox. First world problems for sure but just, again, really inconvenient. Now about the unsafe part, there is truly no safety about this card at all.

Anyone can get it and run it as credit instead of debit and bypass putting in your PIN number. Luckily my money had been moved off the card just in time because shortly after, my card number was used in a different state and tried to authorize a $112 charge. So I researched that and apparently it happens a lot to people who use these cards and customer service is very hesitant to help you and will try to say that you’re the one who authorized the charges!

It’s total and complete BS. I will definitely go back to filing free with Turbo Tax next year and have it deposited to my safe bank account instead of this scam of a card.

Product or Service Mentioned: Hr Block Emerald Prepaid Card.

Comments