Verified Reviewer

2.0

Update by user Apr 20, 2021

As it turns out, all the companies with the “file free online” offer are baiting customers. It is an old but very effective marketing ploy.

My resolution was to shop for the HRBlock software download on ebay. With the software, you know what you have. I purchased the HRBlock Deluxe with all the features we needed at a reasonable price. My tax issue is resolved but, the warning for people to beware of the file free online gimmick is still in effect.

This update is to include all companies. Thanks

Original review posted by user Mar 20, 2021

I have used HRB for many years- usually buying their software disks (I have a stack of many prior years' disks). In recent years I have not needed their deluxe version.

We file simple forms on Federal and itemize on the state. Up until now, we could do this online for $0 or a very basic fee. They are counting on you needing to add something as we did (non-cash donations) that only require Schedule A if under $500- not the special form 8283 that the program forces on you to make this claim.

So, here is the complaint. We went from our "free" filling to (as the chat agent stated) $49.99 for Deluxe then another $44.99 for each state.

That's how grateful they are for their loyal customers!

Wow, back to the old hard copy mailed forms I guess.

Thanks, HRB. And that is why I'm a Pissed Consumer!

User's recommendation: Do not fall for the free online prep service.

Product or Service Mentioned: Hr Block Tax Software.

Preferred solution: warn potential customers.

Hr Block Pros: It used to be the least expensive for good dependable tax prep.

Hr Block Cons: Misleading, Bait and switch for a very high price- 95.

Comments