4.2K views

we received a loan in December for a line of credit and the employee said we had 2 ways to pay it off 1 is pay it off when we receive our income tax the second was a monthly payment taken from the emerald card because we direct deposit our paycheck on the card. so we went with the monthly payment right off our card each month no hassle of having to remember to pay them back for the loan.

well it went well for the first 2 payments until today when my wifes check was withdrawn by them to pay back the loan 700 dollars of it with a balance of 918 dollars left to pay on the loan which they claim any other money deposited on the card will be taken 2 until the loan is satisfied. they did this with no warning we are a disabled family and live paycheck to paycheck. we have 5 kids the youngest requires extensive medical treatment. my wifes check was putting food on the table and paying bills like our auto insurance and gasoline to drive to Dr's and school.

what i cant believe is they would take her whole check even though its been deposited twice a month for the past 7 months on there card. i could see maybe if they took half but the whole thing talk about being cruel to its customers and its not us that will suffer from this its the kids so thank you h&r block for rendering our car underivable so we cant legally drive it or put gas in it. thank you for our son missing appointments and thank you for making me beg for food to feed my family. THANK H&R Block For Hurting OUR Children.

i hope your CEO enjoys his dinner because to night i go with not.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Feb 26, 2011.

Comments

I have been a customer with H&R Block for the past 5 years. I called today to find out if I could make an appointment to file for the Emerald Card Line of Credit.

Last year I didn't have a job, so my mom claimed me (AT H&R BLOCK). When I called to schedule my appointment they told me that since I did not PERSONALLY file with them last year, I would not be qualified for the line of credit! WTH?! I've been a loyal customer and just because I didn't have a job I'm not eligible?!

I'm so mad right now! I think I may contact my local news station and let them know how I feel about what's going on!And let other people know about them as well.

They should really think about the people who have been loyal to them, instead of just thinking about people who came to them last year. I can understand if they don't want to give the line of credit to someone who went somewhere else, but to say no to someone just because they didn't have a job, SO THEY COULDN'T FILE, is ridiculous!!

This year I was highly disappointed,I was told that since I didn't file my taxes with

HR Block, (even through I file online with HR Block I couldn't qualify for the Emerald Advane Line of credit. I'v been a loyal customer with HR Block for over 10 yrs.

I've also have there Emerald Card, which I have my payroll deposit on. Hr Block offers a year around advance, which you make monthly payments on, last week without warning the took the total amount due, which left me in a hole.

I called customer service to ask what was the time limit to pay back the year around advance, she couldn't answer my question. What kind of customer service is that.

I HAVE BEEN AN H&R BLOCK COSTOMER FOR 3 YRS AND GOT THE LINE OF CREDIT LAST YR AND WENT IN LAST WEEK AN GOT DENIED I SAT THERE FOR 3 HOURS WAITING TO I WAS SO PISSED I DO NOT SEE THE PROB CAUSE I HAVE MADE OVER 10,000 BUT I WILL BE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE THIS YR TO DO MY TAXES SCREW H&R BLOCK :( :( :( :(

What people fail to realize is there is NO way for anyone to know if/ or how much of a refund you will receive when doing taxes. A lot of people owe back taxes and never receive their refunds so no way to repay a loan.

I've been approved for the emerald advance for the past 3 years and got denied for it yesterday...i'm beyond mad, I was told that the reason i was denied was because i had "too many inquiries" on my credit in the past 6 months. It doesn't matter that i will get $4000 back on my income tax and the advance is taken right out...I wont be using hr block again

I been a customer with H&R Block for years, and I too was under the impression that the Emerald Advance would be taken care of with your income tax. Well last year I was approved, and just knew that I would be aproved for this year.

Well that's what I get for thinking, cause they surely DENIED me. Now my children will not have a good Christmas, because I was depending on this for that. Can you say RUDE. I am seriously trying to find me another company to file taxes with.

I just don't understand they check to see how much you are expected to get back for your income taxes (7600), knowing they going to get their money back when people file their taxes, and still DENY. Well it's alright because I will be taking my business else where.

How do your loyal customers like that???? :( :( :( :( :( :( :?

I always use H&R Block and never had a problem with them. Please always read everything before signing.

Sorry this happen to you, but hopefully everything will work out.

God Bless! :grin

They seriously check credit now...what happened to being poor and than taxes take care of it?

#382078

I TOO Got the Line of credit 2010 I Got my TAX Back late so i was late paying back. will this be bad to get approved this year ?

I work at H&R and yes, we are doing the Emerald Advance again this year. You must be a prior client, have made 10,000$ for the year and be currently employed to qualify.

The loan may be paid by taking the funds from a RAC, sweeping it off the emerald card or by mailing in a check and the balance must be paid by Feb 15th. I'm sorry this happened to you, but you should have read the paperwork you were signing and fully understood before you left the office. I know some people rush through things without explaining very good. H&R Block is a good company with good values.

We do not try to scam or take advantage or lie to our clients, but we are humans and unfortunately things like this happen. I am sorry it happened to you :(

does anyone know if h and r block is doing the line of credit this year?

I have never had any problem with the Emerald advance line of credit. I was always under the impression that you had like 100 days to pay if off, which most people do with their tax return.

It sounds like it was February and since you hadn't paid it off they took what you owed.

You should contact them to see if there was a misunderstanding on your part. Sorry for your bad luck.

Niigata-Shi, Niigata, Japan #374520

Had great experience with H&R Block for several years. Can't wait to go and see if this year is just as pleasant.

i have participated in the emerald advance for several years never had any issues with them all i love h and r block been filing with them for over 10 years!!!! :grin :grin :grin :grin

I got the emerald advance two years in a row and always paid them back on time. Last year I was denied, they said they check credit now.

They now they will get paid back if they take it out of your income tax.

Hopefully this year will be better. :? :sigh

:cry

not that easy eadvance

read fine print

:) I love emerald advance! I do it every year.

They have always kept there word and you are supposed to pay back before February 15.

Most ppl have filed there taxes by then so they just take it out at that time. Sorry you had such bad luck.

Ensenada, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico #256928

The loan is short term, and had to be repayed by 2/15. Typically this was done by completeing your tax return before then, and you were offered the chance to make an appointment when you did the loan.

There is no "monthly payment" option at all. There was one required monthly payment due 1/15, for most people taken off the card. If this was not explained at the desk, you should complain to the district office.

For what I witnessed in the office I was in, this was explained to every client. I can not speak for nation wide.

The ammounts you mention are unusal, as the loan was only up to $1,000. Since you already paid the annual fee, and a monthly payment in January, the amount due should have been closer to $900, IF you got the highest possible amount. The late and intrest charges could not even take it over 1,000 if you were still in default today.