48.3K views

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jan 09, 2010.

Comments

I've gotten the emerald advance the last 3 years and the 3000 advance last year. My credit is absolutely wrecked (something I'm working on)..

I didn't think I'd get the emearald advance this year but I was approved.

My theory on this is that I've done my taxes with them for 9 years and everytime I've been approved for the advance I always make a payment on it and then have the rest covered with my taxes. Because of my credit I honestly don't think credit plays VERY much into it....?

The *** I was referring to was Matt M. It’s crazy to be so awful in a comment to someone that is just asking a valid question.

What do people do, they roam random cites to find questions that they feel “above” (I don’t know morally or something else I can’t name) and scrape the bottom of their brains for their best their downgrading remarks? I would really like to know the reason behind that immature behavior because I have never been a TROLL but it must make those people feel good or they wouldn’t waste their so very valuable time typing their garbage responses.

I mean good credit means you must be royalty or just better than most people right?! Matt?

I also know I messed up royally when writing my last comment. Apparently i need to proof read more.

If you “people” haven’t noticed you are all talking about two different loans! Also, the guy that was being such a *** didn’t even notice that he wasn’t even talking about the same loan!

There is an advance on your taxes and then is a credit line before that u apply for before or before you get ur w2s. There two different qualifications for them so not the same {{Redacted}}.

The loans are tax advance (need w2s) and emerald advance (do not need w2s). I believe from reading about the emerald advance ur credit is very important to qualify but it doesn’t seem to me that the to qualify for the tax advance loan u reallly don’t need to have a good credit score just a good record with getting your income taxes back on time (no audits) and without unforeseen deductions.

I have great credit and was denied. I have been on the phone with Axos Bank and Experian all evening.

The reasons for denial were simply untrue. Too many inquiries-my experion report shows 4 in 2 years.

And accounts not in good standing- again report SHOWS three accounts open, never late. NO ONE, NO ONE, can explain my denial.

to Melissa #1606737

i been looking all over for that Axos Bank number. Do you happen to still have it

It’s your fault for having bad credit. I get the loan every year because I pay my bills on time. It helps!

to Matt M #1598255

Job

There was NO monetary loss at all. You applied for a loan with a potential benefit of 1000 at the most but were not approved.

There was zero cost associated with applying for this product and no mark was made against your credit report for doing so.

You did not lose any money you just didnt gain any. Why make it into something it isn't?

to Rene #1597188

I AGREE, LOL!

to Rene #1607579

I actually saw this marked on my credit report as an inquiry.. so for me at least it was on my credit just for applying.. I was accepted for the loan however.

You have to file with them on the tax year before to get the advance... it is a way that they make sure they get their money back.... it is unsucred loan

I applied . Normally do my taxes myself.

But I was getting quite a bit more this year so I thought I would try for the advacne . Well I got the card and a couple hours later I was denied . I spent 366 dollars verses I could have file for free on the web. It's *** .

I could have gotten 3000 and that f&!@#* up bank would have gotten it back. It's like playing the lottery.

H & R Block should do more explaining and should check before they take a person's money. They are theifs.

This is a scam, they give you assurance to get at least 500 -3000 and then later on you'll found out that you were denied, if I have known that they will deny it I could have done it myself and won't pay 300 for processing fee.

Will I get the other portion of my advance when I take my w2 back

You cite a monetary loss of 1000 but you didnt actually lose ANY money- you just didn't get it early. 25% of people are denied not 80%.

to Sherri #1408146

How do you know, do you work for H&R block, more loans are denied then approved.

If u do go in and try to get the loan whats the interest on it and ru having to also pay them for preparing your taxes

I was denied last year which was my first year filing with h and r block. Will I be denied again?

I was denied 2 years ago because the credit bueau couldn't recognize me. I had to write a letter with all my info on it and last yr I got approved! Have an appointment Thursday for this year