44.2K views

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

Comments

I applied . Normally do my taxes myself.

But I was getting quite a bit more this year so I thought I would try for the advacne . Well I got the card and a couple hours later I was denied . I spent 366 dollars verses I could have file for free on the web. It's *** .

I could have gotten 3000 and that f&!@#* up bank would have gotten it back. It's like playing the lottery.

H & R Block should do more explaining and should check before they take a person's money. They are theifs.

This is a scam, they give you assurance to get at least 500 -3000 and then later on you'll found out that you were denied, if I have known that they will deny it I could have done it myself and won't pay 300 for processing fee.

Will I get the other portion of my advance when I take my w2 back

You cite a monetary loss of 1000 but you didnt actually lose ANY money- you just didn't get it early. 25% of people are denied not 80%.

to Sherri #1408146

How do you know, do you work for H&R block, more loans are denied then approved.

If u do go in and try to get the loan whats the interest on it and ru having to also pay them for preparing your taxes

I was denied last year which was my first year filing with h and r block. Will I be denied again?

I was denied 2 years ago because the credit bueau couldn't recognize me. I had to write a letter with all my info on it and last yr I got approved! Have an appointment Thursday for this year

I get it every year..the whole $1000... Perfect time to help with the holidays

I have never been denied. Maybe because I have done my taxes there for the last 22 years. Love this service!!!

New London, Wisconsin, United States #1240072

How does this advance work

My credit if shot and they still gave me 500$ advance

to Anonymous Glasgow, Kentucky, United States #1277939

Did u get back a big refund and how long did it take for u to find out

You are done doing business with them because you have bad credit? Guess you do the same at the bank you use to then right?

Yes I have been filling with them since 1988 I have only received one loan and have been getting denied every since. So I have not been back to h&r block since......why pay all of your money to them to get your taxes prepared and you are denied the loan.......sad.

I did my taxes myself online with h and r block. To get a 1,000 back on emerald advance h and r block say now I can only get an advance for 350.00 because I did online and now a new customer so watch that!!!!

better then nothing I guess.

We get the loan every year and we have horrible credit, as long as you have a job and always pay them back your guaranteed

to Anonymous #1066589

I went today have been with H @R block for three years and been at the same job for 9 years aplied for the advanced loan and was denied last year was aproved for only 350.00 this year nothing ....H @ R block just lost me as a customer. ...

to Anonymous #1068666

Not true

to Anonymous #1244175

I just went today after being an H&R Block customer for 8 years and doing the line of credit for 7 years and was denied. Should be recieving almost $10,000 for tax refund and nothing has changed.

We always paid them back on time and have always got the $1000 line of credit. I don't know what is different this year but thats the only reason we continued to use H&R Block for our tax preperation. They just lost our business and I am sure many more to come.

Best of luck to everyone this year o. The line of credit.