Hr Block - H&R Block Emerald Advance up to $1000

599 of 661 Hr Block reviews

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 119 Yes 119
599 of 661 Hr Block reviews
Kerri Williams

Dec 14, 2012 #581970

I also have been getting my taxes done there every year since I was 16. (I am now 32) I also have gotten the Emerald Advance every year, but now-- denied. Even with perfect credit history from them. I agree with most everyone else on here.. I will no longer use HR Block, their overly expensive on preparation fees-- the only perks was the enerald advance and rapid refund... now they don't do either of those anymore. Looks like I'll only pay 50 bucks this year instead of over 200-- Thanks HR block, you saved me money by me not using your services.

mickalal

Dec 12, 2012 #581210

Same happen to me I have been a customer of there for 14 years I got the loan for 4 years straight last year I was denied they said they are doing credit checks now ...well they lost me as a customer I left them thanks for nothing
:( thinking I was gonna get it I planned for nothing I had to run around borrowing money left in tears

mickalal

Dec 12, 2012 #581209

pissd off

Nov 28, 2012 #575171

Its amazing how ive done my taxes for yrs wit h n r block n have goy theemerald advanced every yr for 4 yrs n i waa denied! Seriously wtf is that! Ill do my taxes somewhere else this yr!

dawn

Nov 27, 2012 #574595

its *** been doing it for a couple of years now always got it today i was denied why?? its coming right off the top of my taxes they take it out right up front this is bull probably wont be using hand r block any more and have been since 1993

1 0 Reply
Upset customer

Nov 22, 2012 #572385

I don't count on the loan, but since I have gotten it every year just for a little extra at christmas....I got denied!! Total *** if you ask me. My refund is HUGE because I am a full time paying college student. The point is I can't believe they are denying for a tax anticipation....If I wanted to be credit approved I would go to the bank. REALLY H&R you are loosing so much business you need to wake up!!!

Completely Appalled!!

Nov 22, 2012 #572381

:( :(

Like a lot of ppl I have been an HR Block Client for years and always got the Emerald Loan with no problem. This year, I go in on Monday, the gentleman that did my application was nice enough, however not experienced enough. I caught him making mistakes and pointed them out, however there was one mistake I didn't see. My birthday was put in as 2012! I was denied of course because according to that I am a baby..lol. So they said they would reset it, called me at 4pm same day said it was reset but computer hadn't updated yet. Ok, I am frustrated but as long as it gets fixed by Wed I'm good. Tuesday, still not going through, Wed, still not going through. I go to another office, they try and see that it was corrected and put back through on Tuesday but was denied. Ok I have NEVER been denied the loan,so that was a shock. However, I am VERY upset because had someone told me this happened Tuesday I could have tried other loan arrangements. Now it is too late for my Thanksgiving! I didn't want to have 2 loan apps going at the same time, now I am screwed. What about us loyal HR Block customers that have gotten this loan every year and paid it back faithfully every year????? My loan and payment history plus my estimated refund should be enough to show I am worthy enough!!! HR Block just lost our business for good!!!! The manager of
... Show more

3 6 Reply
irritated

Nov 19, 2012 #571161

I will not be using h&r block for this years taxes. I have been a customer with them for 17 years and have now just been denied the advance. Was told pretty much my income is not enough to cover my bills every year. But they dont look at if you have someone else living in your household that also earns income. I feel very singled out right now and will be doing my taxes else where! Sorry I am not rich and married!

Sees through fog

Nov 19, 2012 #571078

Welcome to capitalist America, if they can't make money off of you then you are useless. Sad but true. How do you think this nation got rich? GREED! If the love of money is truly the root of all evil, then maybe America IS Babylon, the Scarlett *** of the west.

KMallory

Nov 14, 2012 #569232

Well this loan has been a blessing to me and my husband for our extra items on our childrens list. I pray all goes well this year 4 us and every1 else.

lee

Nov 14, 2012 #569208

Lol oops HR BLOCK just LOST a customer...... :p

1 0 Reply
lee

Nov 14, 2012 #569206

I call to make an appointment for the emerald advanced as always how i been doing for the past 6 to 7 years...am told that am suppose to call some number to get started on the application before i go to the office in which it was a headache for almost am hour with someone that couldn't hear or get the information right when i was told i did part on the phone the rest in the office she did the whole application on the phone then after all this hour specking to someone that can't hardly understand what ur telling them when u told them one things over and over she put a machine to tell me am denied first time in 7 yrs.......

ok

Nov 08, 2012 #566420

:( :x :sigh :p 8) ;) :grin :) :roll :? :cry

Tax payer

Nov 01, 2012 #562985

I have done the advance for the past 2 years because about that time something seems to wrong with the house. And it has always been a pain. The first year they sent me a payment and I paid it and they ended up still taking it out of my tax check so I over paid $55(not like their fees aren't too much anyway) and I called six different times and never got the money back. So this past year I thought I would be smart and take all the money off the card at once and don't pay the fee and let them just take out of my tax check. After all was said and done they said I owed them $22. I said screw it it wasn't worth the hassle and vowed to never use it again. Two weeks later it was showing a balance on my card for $19. Called them to send my a check and cancel the card because I didn't want more fees added. I DON'T PLAN ON USING IT THIS YEAR!!!

ClPhillips

Oct 21, 2012 #558207

The H & R block tax refund loan is just that. It is not guaranteed. I usually get it, but I NEVER depend on it. If you are routinely getting that much back, you need to fix the amount being withheld on your paycheck. you are giving the government a loan. The cards in the mail are just like ads from car, cable, and credit card companies...mass mailings to bring people in. They don't mean you will be approved. Changes like marriage/ divorce/ a new kid/ lower credit can mean you won't get it because your taxes may be different or you may be a credit risk now.

precious

Dec 15, 2011 #391594

I went this year too and I got denied because I pay my bills off too fast. The rep told me I need to pay them off slowly that's how u establish credit. That's the most dumb thing I ever heard

upset mom

Dec 14, 2011 #390991

all of us need to file our taxes somewhere else this year and they will see how it feels. if noone uses the loan at tax time maybe they will think before they get our hopes up.

Stressed out!!!

Dec 13, 2011 #390554

I have 2 children ages 14 & 9. Ive always enjoyed getting the things they put on their list and a few more items as a surprise. This is the 11th year ive filed with HRBlock and the 4th Ive applied for EA so when I was denied today you can imagine how unprepared Im feeling right now. I just got married this year to a man Ive been with for 13 years and he has decided to become a loser so as soon as Christmas is over Im seeking a divorce, I lost my job this year and have been working part time for the local school board (huge decrease in pay), then Im denied because my projected income is too low. Im getting back est $8,000 but HRblock denies me anyway. THIS IS TERRIBLE!!! I guess the lesson here is "always have a backup plan!!!!"

liz

Dec 13, 2011 #390395

My husband and I were aproved for the whole 1000 this year it was 900 on the card by the time we left the office. 55 goes on after a few days 45 was the price of the loan, so some people do get it with no issues :zzz

0 1 Reply

41-60 of 92 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.