Placerville, California
32.4K views 92 comments

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

Had an Experience with Hr Block?

Comments

Unhappy ex customer
Columbia, Missouri, United States #905472

H&R Block sucks!!!

Columbia, Missouri, United States #905469

I was denied this year.The code was to many credit inquires on my credit report.

I bought a new car this year. I have used H&R block for 17 years now and received loans in the past and paid them back on time and in full!!! HSBC Bank is even on my credit report/Experian with a positive standing!!!

I was listening to others in the office that were way less qualifying than I for sure am!!!I've held my job for over 5 years and more $$ than I did last year.

Unhappy ex-customer
Yazoo City, Mississippi, United States #905406

I agree.H&R block is a rip off!

My husband and I have gotten the advance with them the past two year, and we both have decent credit. Then, I apply this year and it gave us a code (06) saying that we were denied. The code said we had insufficient cash flow for 2015.... which makes ZERO sense.

I called and the operator at the call center said that code shows up for seasonal workers. My husband is not a "seasonal" worker. He has been at this job for 2 years and works 6 days a week. The "tax professional" said that we make twice as much as the last 2 other people made that just got approved, and she said it didnt make sense either.

I will not use H&R block anymore.

We had planned to use the money for christmas.It is rather disappointing.

Andrea
to Unhappy ex-customer Maysville, Kentucky, United States #1074915

The same thing happened to me and they reset it and still 06 code this was using my husbands pay stub. My husband applied and his had 3 codes but not a 06 code. If his pay stub gave me a 06 code which should not be the case then why didn't my husband get a 06 code?

Anthony1
#820740

H&R block is a *** rip off...They are the kings of false advertisement.

First I was told I wouldn't be charged atm withdrawal fees as long as I used all point atms but yet H&R block charged me every time I withdrew money.

Then I got approved for the cash advance and was told as long as I pay it back in time I would have a line of credit all year round but when I tried to access that line of credit I was told there was steps I had to take to be able to access this line of credit but wasn't informed of these steps until I tried to access the line of credit.Basically a bunch of bs

PO-ed Veteran
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States #764697

I went also to the so called Emerald BS and got similar results.I think there should be some kind of Class Action law suit brought against them for false advertisement.

I am thinking the same thing.They are just marketing for customers.

not happy customer
Belleville, Illinois, United States #753657

The program is a joke they do it so they can get you to make appointment to do taxes there.you can do your own on tax act.com for 10 so why go there pay 250

marley
Sandusky, Ohio, United States #751091

I got denied.A first.after 5 years of getting 900 $.

The reason was insuffecient cash flow to cover monthly bills.

Funny though considering I'm getting an estimated 8, 000 grand back and I have been employed for years!:(

PO-ed Vet
to marley Greensboro, North Carolina, United States #764700

got the same results! wow. lets sue.

to marley #766966

Its because it's based strictly on credit now...not refund amount. Look it up!