Hr Block - H&R Block Emerald Advance up to $1000

581 of 643 Hr Block reviews

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 119 Yes 119
581 of 643 Hr Block reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
wendy

Dec 10, 2011 #388884

I went to HR block for the cash advance like I do every year and after puttin all my info in she says you were denied because you are not any HR block cust..I said I come every year and am approved(also had the letter they send out with my name on it) so she turns the screen so I can see and I see some random name at the top and I ask her who is that, she says that's not your name uhhh no you have my I.D in your hand so needless to say she used someone elses name and my info so my S.S # and birthday are attached to someone else and when she went back to try to fix it ,it just kicked me out..after waiting all day to find out if it could be fixed she calls and says don't wait for any money cause it gonna take days to be fixed and am not sure if it will even work. While telling her boss what happened she says but why didn't she tell me that wasn't her name she sat right there why I put it in.really wtf she blamed it on me ...way to treat your loyal cust !! Awesome HR BLOCK

chin

Dec 08, 2011 #387478

:cry goo to *** hr block :(

linda

Dec 06, 2011 #386722

Thanks for the heads up, but I dont understand why would they even mail out the papers getting my hopes up? Glad my kids know im a hard working single parent who income tax check belong to them after i catch up with the bills! So my x-mas tree will be up till i get my refund and im getting it done at the federal building for free!!! So long h&r block I need all my money every penny!!!

melissia

Dec 05, 2011 #386122

I went to apply for the $1,000 this year like have done since they began doing this years ago and was only approved for $500. I have always been approved for the full amount. I was really relying on that money for bills and christmas, after reading previous posts I guess I need to be thankful that I even got that much. Now i just need to hope my utilities dont get shut off! I have gone to H&R Block since 2002 I get a $10,000 refund and they cant even give me $1,000 of it. I will be calling to speak with someone I want to know why I didnt get the full amount, the lady that did the loan said she has no clue why but not many people are getting the $1,000

LD REDDING CA

Dec 05, 2011 #385983

I am so nervous to go into my appt now. After reading all these cuz i been going to HR since 2001 to do my taxes & for the last 2 years i have relied on this loa. I have 2 disabled children & just tryn to give my 4 kids a good chirstmas. I have to take my baby to Standford childrens hospital on the 12th & 13th of December 2011. So i am prayn for this loan & now i am nervous cuz god knws we need this. Ive injured myself @ 1 job so cnt do my 2nd job this year. :sigh

Shannon

Dec 05, 2011 #385884

I have been getting the advance since it started. It has always been what I use for Christmas. My credit is better this year, that any previous years. I went in this year...and flat out denied. She said it was because they aren't on with the same bank anymore. Now we are just a number. It is not personal anymore.

k cunnungham

Dec 03, 2011 #384884

im going to try and get the emerald advance this morning.im kinda nervous now after reading these comments.i did my taxes online at h & r block website the past 3 years and i have bad credit!!im kinda thinkin im gonna get denied.but i really need the money for all 3 off my kids christmas cause ive been off work for maternity leave!!

What Happened

Dec 02, 2011 #384708

Today my husband and I went to our local H&R Block and was denied our emerald advance. We both didn't understand why when last year we were approved instantly. Our credit is even better than it was last year. Not to mention, we noticed our tax professional was imputing the wrong numbers for our income and when she tried to go back, we don't think all the numbers were corrected. Our reason for being denied was due to our income supposedly, but it seems quite odd when our income hasn't changed from last year's. We are so disappointed and just like everyone else, our Christmas will no longer be happening. Guess we need to tell our kids that Santa gave us a rain check. How sad=(

T. Cross

Dec 02, 2011 #384357

How are you guys doing this before December? In years past we had to wait until a few days in to December to apply for this.

jen k

Dec 02, 2011 #384277

I too was denied yesterday after being approved ever since they started doing it! I depended on that loan and paid my bills off thinking i'll have the 1,000 for christmas for my kids but i guess i was way wrong!!! my credit isn't even bad i just have too many student loans out that are not even being paid yet because i am a college student this is rediculous! my guy told me i can call and explain and they would approve it and it would go through their system bs it's an automatic response system i'll be filing my large tax return from my home this year they are not getting a penny of my money!!! how can they deny 1000 if you're expected to receive at least 7000 back in feb?!

Block should be block

Dec 01, 2011 #384189

I too did my taxes through h&r block online and got denied because I didn't use h&r block. It shouldn't make a difference! I have used them for years and have got this loan every other year when I needed it and have always paid it back on time. So much for Christmas. Guess i'll be using turbo tax from now on. Block apparently don't want to make anymore money off of me.

Kwoody

Dec 01, 2011 #384150

I went to get an emerald advance today, and they tell me that I'M DENIED b/c of my credit. I was approved last year for the advance, its our money that we worked for and eventually they will get it back once our taxes is done!! Well good luck to them, they won't be collecting our money.

One question: Will H&R Block deduct our refund to pay whatever we owe on our credit?

tierra

Dec 01, 2011 #383914

i went to get it today and was denied after 9years of filing i will not be going back.

WASHINGTON MAMA

Nov 30, 2011 #383526

There was no clue in my mind that i was going to be denied for the Emerald Advance, i was approved in 2010 and I have filed with h&r block for over 5 years. My estimated refund will be about 5000.00 this year but they told me because I did not make over 10000.00 is why i was not approved. Sad and a bummer I think the Block needs to be alot more clear when applying for this, maybe even tell people its not a good thing to rely on. H&R block charges alot of fees to file, but they wont be getting my fees this year or anymore years to come.

ymr

Nov 30, 2011 #383420

i have been a client of h&r block for the past 4 years and i am usually approved for the advance but this year when i really needed it after being hurt on the job i was denied for credit reasons. i didnt really understand this since i actually paid off somethings on my credit report. im no lawyer, bank,accountant or genius but if you send notices to h&r block clients for an advance line of credit because we are h&r block clients requirement number one and we are going to file with you the same as we did the year before that and the year before that why would you deny such faithful clients for an advance. i have read and reread the requirements to make sure im not mistaken and im not as i read them 1 h&r block client 2 made at least $10,000 3 last 2 check stubs yet i sit here with a denial letter. so if youre gonna call it a line of credit for your clients then make it so because other than that its just a loan and anyone should be able to apply. remember we are in a recession your clients know this everyday we live and breathe and work and we dont like being mislead about our money because you all dont do our taxes for free and thats money we could keep to ourselves!

1 0 Reply
lmcooper32@yahoo.com

Nov 30, 2011 #383341

if my wages have already been attatchedfor a student loan that i did not defer on will I be denied the advance on my taxes? I to have been counting on this money all year long to give my grandchildren a decent christmas.

Raymond Russelburg

Nov 30, 2011 #383335

noone get your hopes up for this loan.

HR block has done our taxes every year for the past 9 years with the exception of several years ago when we went to another agency.

Last year we did our taxes on HR Blocks web stie. We did the take it out of our taxes option where the recieved our taxes, took our fees out, cut and mailed us a check.

This year we attempted to do the emerald loan. They denied us BECAUSE we did it online line last year DESPITE THE FACT HR BLOCK STILL DID THE TAXES AS IT WAS THEIR SITE THAT DI IT.

HR Block has lost a loyal customer.

EVERY year we take our w-2 to them and they do it and pay them the exhorbitant fees to get our taxes teh same day.

HR Block will NEVER touch our taxes again in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I will now pay someon twice the money and wait twice as long if necessary to get my taxes to keep away from HR Block.

Everyone is the world should leave HR Block banks and anything associated with them for this injustice. With this being how they treat their loyal customers, I would HATE to see their treatment of NEW customers!

Deperately  seeking money.

Nov 30, 2011 #383249

I recently went to apply for the $1,000 advance from the H & R Block emerald card like I have done ever since they started this idea. I could not believe that I was denied although I have enough of a return to cover this loan and it gets deducted automatically once the money comes in. Now they say that our credit history is a factor in deciding if we qualify for the loan or not. My credit has been the same for several years and I was never denied. I am a single mother and live from paycheck to paycheck meaning that I anxiouly wait for this time of the year in order to buy my son his gifts for Christmas and his birthday which also falls in December. Unfortunately, I live on a very tight budget so putting money aside from every paycheck is not possible for me. I am devastated about the income of this years application. I do not know what to do about my son. I feel terrible because I will not be able to do anything for my son this year. Is there anything that can be done about this? Can someone please advise? Help!!!!

Deperately seeking money.WNY,NJ

to b me

Nov 30, 2011 #383241

Got denied for the advance today..After being approved for the last 3 years with no problem. I was told by the Rep that credit requirements were stricter this year because of the recession. So the banks aren't as giving as before. Well they should say credit will be a factor and not jusbring in a paystub. I think ill do my own taxes ..save money,time,gas and the all hassle.

Itz me

Nov 28, 2011 #382057

Six people including myself went and did the advance this year and all of us got denied with the same three denial reason isnt that weird i think its a glitch but what do i tell hr block??

61-80 of 91 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.