Hr Block - H&R Block Emerald Advance up to $1000

581 of 643 Hr Block reviews

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.

I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.

My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."

80%!!!!

Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 119 Yes 119
581 of 643 Hr Block reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
vmorris08

Nov 28, 2011 #381592

We go through MONTHS of re-schooling and update classes EVERY year. They do not hire without schooling or experience. Yes, we have 1st year tax specialists, but they have went through months of classes. Next time do some research. Ask questions about the tax specialist and if you aren't comfortable, find someone else. We are not button pushers, considering 90% of our schooling is done by hand. I still prefer to do returns by hand over the computer, but it is called evolution. Some people, like me, take pride in my job and feel offended by hearing slander like this.

0 2 Reply
mharris

Nov 26, 2011 #380786 Erode, Tamil Nadu, India

For the last 10 years I've had my taxes prepared by HR BLOCK. The years 2007 thru 2009 I was able to receive the EMERALD ADVANCE LOAN but in 2010 I was denied. Will BLOCK use the same formula in 2011 that they used in 2010 to qualify people for the EMERALD ADVANCE LOAN?

julie benoit

Nov 18, 2011 #376902

did it last year does anyone know if h and r block is doing the advanced loan and which offices are doing it in the swanton/st albans vermont area

Niki

Oct 17, 2011 #360465

Does anyone know if h r block is doing the loan this year and when?

H&R Block Customer

Jan 29, 2010 #109442

My husband and I have gone to H&R Block for many years. I had no problem with them until the last 2 years 2007-2009 tax filing. In 2007 my husband sold stock from his company and we had to claim that on our taxes as usual. Everything seemed fine until I got a letter in the mail stating that we owed the IRS almost 5000.00..Wow, They *** who filed our taxes claimed our stock twice on our return. I took it back to them to have it fixed and they had no idea what they had done. It still was not fixed by the time we filed our 2008 taxes and the IRS took most of our refund. We had paid for the Peace of Mind. What kind of Peace of Mind do you get when you pay the extra 30 dollars for it. I did not get our full refund until July of 2009. It was one battle after another, no one telling us the same thing twice, it changed from moment to moment. I think its very wrong of them to tell me that I had to wait 2-4 weeks to get the penalty and intrest paid back when i took it to them to do to make sure that I was done right because "They got people" not use. Then again I took it back this year."Very ***" choice to it took over 2 hours to do my taxes. I had to tell the agent how to file my taxes as well. When you have a problem they tell you sorry but nothing we can do. How does this work. I have worked in customer service and had I or the companies I have worked for treated their customers in such a way they would not be in buisness and I wouldn;t have a job.. Very poor customer service..

chris

Jan 28, 2010 #109012

i have gotten the loan three years in a row...they wont do it the first time you apply though from what im told...you have to have them do your taxes one year i guess and then try for the loan the next

To the H&R Employee, on 19-01-

Jan 21, 2010 #106543

Is tax pro another word for flunky or loser that has no clue. I will bet you or anyother employee has had no formal tax prep, training, law and rule education. By formal I do not mean a 2 to 10 day train class on how to push buttons. I mean a formal education which would also have requirments continuing education. You really should quit speculating one something unless you have first hand knowledge of the consumers comment. This means only if you were present at the time he or she came in a particular location or read his or her file. Unless you have a degree by an accredited (by a reconized accredation board or association) college or university your words are meaningless.

Former H & R customer

Jan 21, 2010 #106542

People at H&R block do not know what they are doing. They are just button pushers. The will charge you to file out you taxes and you can go online and do it for free ON H&R BLOCK website. Is that not ironic. I went in last night and tried to get my taxes done and the H&R block employee keep typing in the wrong information and I had to point it out. Every year it gets worse. I was there over an hour. I find out at the end the fee which was over $300.00. I said okay. Then he punched some more buttons and told me I could have the money put on a card or a check. THE CHECK WAS $20.00 extra. OMG!!!! I told them to forget the whole thing. I went home and did my taxes myself my figures were exactly them same as his. But it only took me 10 or 15 minutes. Guess what it was done one H & R Block website for FREE. I should have my refund directly in my bank account within 10 days. I did the same thing last year and I had it in five days. H & R Block is a rip-off and the employees (MOST) do not even know what they are talking about. He did not even know that the first time home buyers credit worksheet had to mailed in. I informed him and he said let me check with my boss about that. Guess what , I was right. Imagin that. If I did not correct him on other things he would have screwed up my return, if I would have let them submit it. H & R BLOCK IS A RACKET and do not know what they are doing other than stealing money from people who really need it. Rest assured I will not ever go back.... Show more

H&R Employee

Jan 19, 2010 #105856

if the information you gave the tax pro was accurate then the issue would have been your problem. the 80% denial is severly inaccurate. i did over 100 emerald advance loans and had less than 10 denials. the major reasons for denial were 1. if you were not a previous H&R client. 2.insufficient income 3. or insufficient income tax refund. as it would seem you fit none of the denial reasons above then other reasons are federal or state debt (i.e. backed up child support credit card debt )
still not you? then more than likely you have had too many credit check done on you within the last six months. for example if you recently got a loan for a new car or you recently bought a new house.

meme

Nov 30, 2013 #750300 Richmond, Virginia, United States

That's a crock you use Experian which is wrong - they never update the information even when you try to get it corrected and I got loans from HR since they started and the last two years denied - how come I can get a car loan?? not your anticipation loans - I WILL NOT USE YOU PEOPLE EVER AGAIN! you get people in with hope of a merry Christmas just to kick them down.

81-91 of 91 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.