Hr Block - H&R Block Peace of Mind insurance is a joke and scam
Update added by user Aug 02, 2016
H&R Block reimbursed us the amount that the IRS wanted us to pay them. So relieved that they did the right thing. Thank you H&R Block for holding up your part of the bargain.
Original review posted by user Jul 28, 2016
I've been filing my taxed with H&R for 2 two years (2014 and 2015).I went to them because of all their promises of standing by their work and doing everything correctly.
They even have you pay extra (about $35) to get "Peach of mind" insurance- that if there is an issue and you get audited they pay for their mistakes and whatever we owe the IRS. Well I received a letter from the IRS stating that I did not claim state reimbursement from 2013 on my 2014 taxes. How can this be?? I went to H&R trusting that they are doing my taxes correctly.
I get the person doing the taxes everything they needed. This person even remembers putting in the information that IRS is saying wasn't claimed. Mind you H&R doesn't make copies of all the forms you submit to them except for W-2s. So I take my letter into one of their "corporate" offices that are open year round and the person who helps me there doesn't seem to know what she's doing, she isn't really concerned with my issue and just says all the "right" things as if she is reading it from a training manual.
She makes copies of the letter from IRS and says she needs to file a claim with the H&R claims department and they will decide whether or not my claim is valid and if they are going to pay IRS. Why did I pay extra for this peace of mind insurance if they're not going to follow through?? Long story short, it takes this person a full week to finally file my claim and I am told it could take up to 4-6 weeks to get a response from the claims department. The IRS does not give you that long to respond.
They give you 30 days from the date on the letter they send you. I even spoke to a manager at this office and she was also unconcerned and unsympathetic. She said I'd have to pay the IRS and then maybe H&R would reimburse me. And then later she said that maybe I should call IRS and ask for an extension.
And even later I was told that they could call IRS on my behalf to explain the situation if we neared the IRS deadline. So now I'm in debt of $880 (which includes interest) and I'm told I need to wait until claims department reviews my claim. I don't know what else to do at this point except give them as many negative reviews as I can and hope they do the right thing.
I recommend not going to H&R and finding someone else to do your taxes.If you are going to use H&R, demand they make copies of everything.
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Process for filing claim
- Customer service at corporate office
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- Refund of my original fees I paid to get taxes done and for the Peach of mind insurance and for H&R to pay the $880 I owe IRS for not doing my taxes correctly, plus any extra interest I incur after the IRS deadline.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Hr Block Tax Preparation
- Review category
- Tax services
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "They solicited me with their services over the phone and guaranteed me of all the things they could and would do for me. After spending $7,000, up front I might..."
- "This is by far the worst experience I have ever had. Liberty Tax is a complete rip off! My refund was only $658.00, and they proceeded to take $448.00 +..."
- "I have been using his Income Tax Preparation Services ever since I was living out in Miami Beach, Florida from around the year of 2003 up to Monday, November..."
- "This clinic removes all of the many negative comments almost immediately from its Instagram page..... but sometimes you catch one before it disappears! Nadia's comment has already vanished! Check for..."
- "I've been with ally auto financing for two years. Bought 2014 Kia Optima brand new for 300.27 a month through ally mobile app. January 11th 2017 I made my payment..."
- "My son ordered a hoodie without permission / I attempted to cancel immediately / Web site will not allow you to cancel order, must call support line / Support line..."
- "I love your crackers. I eat them plain right out the sleave. But the last 2 family size boxes I purchased were over cooked.almost burnt. ..."
- "I am sorely dissatisfaction disappointed in myself for checking out the review on this company before ordering. They are a huge scam. I bought items based on pictures I saw..."
- "Brand bew tv shipped through LBC. Damaged upon arrival in the Philippines. Originating LBC said they aren't responsible for damage, only if it was lost. What is the point of..."